Caye Caulker, Belize


photo 1-4Trying to describe our experiences so far is like attempting to explain a dream. Words can’t begin to do justice, but we promised to keep this blog updated so we have to at least try. These past few days have easily been some of the best of our lives. We have completely immersed ourselves into this life and we seem to fit right in. We’re getting along with all the locals, walking everywhere barefoot and washing our dishes in ocean water. For some reason nothing seems out of the ordinary or gross. I watched Meghan eat an entire fish with her hands, just pulling the meat off skin and bones, while we talked about the days of sitting at a computer in a cubicle, and it seemed completely natural.We left San Diego at 7AM on Wednesday, December 5th. Missed our first two trolleys but from there it was smooth sailing– cabs, planes, buses, water taxis… And just over 24 hours later we arrived at our first stop: the Tropical Paradise Hotel on Caye Caulker, Belize.The island is small and it only takes about 20 minutes to walk from one end to the other. It’s surrounded by teal water, crystal clear and full of pretty little critters. Friendly dogs roam about and all the locals are healthy and happy. The vibe is very Carribean– most people speak a mix of Creole, English and Spanish– and reggae Christmas songs flow out from the boom boxes perched on decks throughout the town. The island motto is “Go Slow” and they seem to take that pretty seriously. 

On our first night we met Brandon (aka Dice) and made an awesome friend who greatly influenced the next few days of our journey. Dice is a fisherman who grew up in Belize but has been living in Denmark for the past several years. We got along so well he offered to take us out on his boat the next day for a private tour of the cayes and teach us how to catch our own food!

photo 2-3

Dice knows these waters like the back of his hand, and he deftly guided us through all the sweet spots where we could check out nurse sharks, stingrays and eaglerays and where we could pick up our own conch and catch fish like Snapper and Grunt with nothing but a hook at the end of a line. Dice taught Kyle how to dive down and pick up lobster traps and I learned how to drive the boat. We drank coconut rum and pineapple juice together and had a blast. He took us out to a private island where we prepared our catches and ate a delicious lunch before heading back out for more. That night he navigated through the pitch black ocean and we brought the rest of what we caught to Terry’s to cook up dinner and hang out with some cool people.

Dice took us out on the boat again yesterday so we could check out the manatees and dolphins since we didn’t have time to get there the day before. We caught some more lobster and stone crab and went to another private island to make lunch. At this camp, there is a 100 year old house inhabited by Noel and his dogs, Chiquita and Toronto. It’s impossible to describe this part so I think we just have to keep this memory to ourselves.

We went night fishing and got so caught up that before we knew it it was already about 9PM so we had to go back in, but all the restaurants were already closed so we saved our fish to cook up today for lunch.

Today we are about to stroll into town to check out the used book store and take a swim at the Split. We might go out deep sea fishing for tuna or just lay around and take it easy. Stay tuned!


Posted on by Erica Duncan in Belize

Comments are closed.